Introductory tune –
A group of young choristers are gathered chatting and looking through their hymnals.
A [1st] boy hurries in as if to avoid being late.
1st boy – [Gasping,] Where’s the choirmaster?
2nd boy – Not yet here.
1st boy – Good. I thought I was late.
Girl – But you are, and so is he.
1st boy – Well, [shoving off,] I’m here before him and so I can’t be considered late.
1stboy takes a hymn book.
1st boy – [Continues…] What song are we practicing today?
Girl – Heavenly Sunlight.
1st boy – Oh, that’s easy.
And 1stboy dumps his hymnal to begin to sing and move at a beat that causes all others to move accordingly.
– First verse – by 1st boy dancing to a beat.
– Chorus – joined by the 2nd boy, Girl and a second girl.
– Second verse – by the 2 girls who sing first 3 lines. The 2 boys sing 1 and half of the last two lines. And the 2 girls join them from ‘close to …’ in harmony.
– Chorus – the 4 sing while the choir ‘uh’ and ‘ah’ along.
– Third verse – the choir stand and all sing in harmony.
– Chorus – the choir continues in harmony.
– 1st chorus repeat – the 1st boy does addlib. At ‘Alleluia’ the choir joins singing ‘Alleluia’ in harmony. When he gets to ‘Jesus is mine’ all sing in harmony.
The choirmaster hurries in at the end of the last note and …
Choirmaster – Sorry, I’m late kids. Lovely style, but if you think that’s how you’re going to sing it at mass, you better think again. Now, here’s how we’ll sing it –
Choirmaster positions himself at the same time, as they are all standing and amused. He conducts a grand harmony of the chorus.
Camera tilts up as the notes resounds.
Heavenly Sunlight – Henry J. Zelley
Walking in sunlight all of my journey,
Over the mountains, through the deep vale;
Jesus has said, I’ll never forsake thee—
Promise divine that never can fail.
Heavenly sunlight! Heavenly sunlight!
Flooding my soul with glory divine;
Hallelujah! I am rejoicing,
Singing His praises, Jesus is mine!
Shadows around me, shadows above me
Never conceal my Savior and Guide;
He is the light, in Him is no darkness,
Ever I’m walking close to His side.
In the bright sunlight, ever rejoicing,
Pressing my way to mansions above;
Singing His praises, gladly I’m walking,
Walking in sunlight, sunlight of love.
Written by IfeanyiChukwu Oluwafemi Chukwudi – Feb/Mar 2016